[History / Architecture] A Walking Tour of Tokyo’s Past: Ginza to Fukagawa
- Tokyo — a city of talking escalators and trendy pants, where the only true constant is change. Yet, as you explore the dense architecture, there are signs of older times — of merchants and monks — of red bricks and revolution. This tour introduces you to the other face of Tokyo, hidden behind the concrete and sleepless neons.
- *** The locations shown in the itinerary are only some of the places you will be visiting.
- The first portion of the tour is a historical tour of Ginza. Ginza was one of the first sites of redevelopment during Meiji Japan’s turn to the West, and much of the architecture stands to tell the story.
- Next, you will visit Monzen-nakacho, where the buildings are shorter and alleys are tighter. Here, the culture of Edo’s shitamachi (meaning “low-town” — describing the common people’s district) remains strong.
- For lunch, you will eat “Fukagawa Meshi”. This delicious fisherman’s staple from the Edo era is a rice dish with abundant clams, either poured over in a broth or cooked into the rice.
- Continuing your stroll through Monzen-nakacho, you will visit two of the area’s largest spiritual locations; Tomioka-Hachimangu Shrine, and Fukagawa-Fudo Temple. The tour will be wrapped up by the exquisite dumplings of Fukagawa Iseya, for a sweet aftertaste to your experience.
|Destination||Tokyo (Ginza / Tsukiji, Fukagawa)|
|Meeting place||JR Yurakucho Station, Ginza Exit, in front of the Family Mart.|
|Tour conductor (language)||Unavailable (There will be an English-speaking guide accompanying you.)|
|Minimum number of participants||2persons|
【Ginza】 Meet up outside Yurakucho Station, Ginza exit. Departure will be at 9:10. ⇩ Okuno Building ⇩ Wakou-Honkan Building ⇩ Kojun Building ⇩ Kabuki-za ⇩ Chugin Capsule Tower Building ▼ 【Monzen-nakacho】 Lunch at Fukagawa-juku ⇩ Tomioka-Hachimangu Shrine ⇩ Fukagawa-Fudoson Temple ⇩ Ninjo-Fukagawa-Gorieki-Dori Street ⇩ Light snack at Iseya ⇩ Monzen-nakacho station. The tour ends at 13:00. （⇩: Walk / ▼:Train）
- ( Breakfast：× / Lunch：○ / Dinner：× )
- Educational tour Okuno Building
- Educational tour Wako-Honkan
- Educational tour Kabuki-za (30minutes)
- Educational tour Kojun Building
- Educational tour Chugin Capsule Tower
- Lunch (50minutes)
- Shrine/temple visit Tomioka-Hachimangu Shrine (30minutes)
- Shrine/temple visit Fukagawa-Fudoson Temple (20minutes)
- Tourism Ninjo Fukagawa Gorieki-dori Street (10minutes)
- Tourism Fukagawa Iseya
- Included in the fee
All taxes, and fees for all transit, meals, admissions, experiences, and guides, that have been clearly outlined in the itinerary. ***If any of the above fees are unused due to the customer’s circumstances, partial refunds will not be made.
- Not included in the fee
Things that are not included above
***A tour conductor is not provided for this tour. Instead, a English speaking guide will be leading the tour*** ・The schedule may change due to weather and transportation conditions. ・There will be a lot of walking throughout the day, so please come in comfortable clothing and appropriate shoes. ・If there are not enough participants for a tour, we will have to cancel the trip. ・In the case of a cancellation, we will contact you with at least 4 days to your trip. ・Families with children below the age of pre-school will not be able to participate in the tour.
- Cancellation policy
Cancellation fees ・cancellations up to 11 days prior . . . No fee ・cancellations up to 10 days prior . . . 20% of the trip fee ・cancellations up to 7 days prior . . . 30% of the trip fee ・cancellations 1 day prior . . . 40% of the trip fee ・cancellations the day of . . . 50% of the trip fee ・no show . . . 100% of the trip fee
- Changing booking details
・Please check the trip documents to see changes regarding fees when changing trip plans. ・If you cancel due to personal reasons and the trip goes under the required participant number, you will be charged a cancellation fee based on the cancellation policies. ・If the trip gets full, we will not be able to accept more participants. Please make reservation changes on MY PAGE, however, if you are making changes within 3 days to your trip, please contact us directly.
- About Contract and Terms of Service
- Tour conditions of Agent-Organized Domestic Tours