Old Uwaoka Elementary School
The Old Uwaoka Elementary School locates in the town of Daigo in northwestern Ibaraki. The school was built in 1879, and operated until March of 2001. Today, the school building still remains and retains its nostalgic atmosphere. The desks and chairs still are in place, and you can even find some doodles here and there on them. In 2010, the building was designated as a national tangible cultural property, as one of the rare wooden buildings remaining from the Meiji Period (1868 – 1912). On the second Saturday and Saturday of October, a local workshop is held at the Old Uwaoka Elementary School. There, participants can learn how to make local specialties such as apple jam and konnyaku.
957-3 Uwaoka, Daigo-machi, Kuji-gun, Ibaraki
Saturdays, Sundays and public holidays from 9:00a.m. to 4:00p.m.
Weekdays (excluding public holidays)
【Japanese 】 TEL: 0295-72-0285 Fee: free *Reservations required at least one week before day of visit
FromHitachi-Daigo Station (JR Suigun Line)
Ibaraki Kotsu Bus / for Moriizumi →【Kyu-Uwaoka Shogakko-mae】→ about a 3-minute walk