Gokokuin temple is located in Taito-ku, Tokyo. This temple of the Tendai sect was erected in 1625 as a branch institute of Higashieizan Kanei-ji Temple.
The Shakado (currently the main hall), built at the time of its construction, was quite magnificent at the time and had established itself as the greatest architectural building in Higashieizan. After experiencing relocation and fires, it eventually became the current main hall. Even now, from the exterior and interior of the main hall, there still murals that recall its past days of glory.
In 1639, the 25th anniversary of the fall of Osaka Castle, the image of Daikokuten was donated by Tokugawa Iemitsu, the third general of the Tokugawa shogunate. This was done in honor of the memorial service carried out to mourn the spirits of both Toyotomi and Tokugawa. Since then, it has been worshiped as a temple dedicated to the Daikokuten of Yanaka Shichifukujin. During the tour of the Seven Lucky Gods from January 1st to 10th, you can see the image of Daikokuten displayed in the main hall up close.